Friday, May 8, 2009

Abyssinian

I've only been to this gem of a restaurant once, although it has been on my list to go back to for ages. I've had Ethiopian food in three countries and at 5 different restaurants and Abyssinian even tops my favourite back in my hometown of Chicago. The staff/owners make you feel welcome as soon as you walk in the door, and dining here is a unique experience. If you haven't had Ethiopian before, it is most enjoyable when you are open to sharing your food with your fellow diners. Abyssinian offers what is called a Mosab Platter, for $20 per person. I highly recommend this option as you end up with the most variety and value for money. The platter includes 3 mains and 3 sides on a platter, in plentiful amounts. My husband and I were even offered more when we had cleaned our plate, but with very full bellies already, had to turn it down. Favourites of mine are the Doro Wat, chicken legs simmered in a spicy sauce with egg, and Lamb Tibs, lamb simmered in spices with onions. Injera, a spongy, fermented, pancake-like bread, is used to scoop up the mains & sides with your hands. Sides include things like as collared greens and a variety of other veg.

Find the full menu here. Vegetarian options are plentiful, and the African beers and Ethiopian coffee are must trys.

Abyssinian
126 Henley Beach Rd
Torrensville SA

1 comment: